Saturday, October 16, 2010

Vanity Cakes and Navajo Fry Bread

Our Little-House-On-The-Prairie-inspired experiment with "vanity cakes" was, as the preacher said, "vanity and vexation of spirit". They would not puff up, but ended up to be small balls of egg-y bread. Not what we aimed for, but they were edible. I think the next time we try it, we will not add so much flour to the batter. (It's supposed to be sticky.) If you've ever attempted making these, or would be brave enough to try, let me know how it goes!

...But since we had the frying fat hot, we made some Navajo Fry Bread! We like to make it from time to time. It's so yummy, and it makes for an easy meal, with whatever toppings you have available. We top it with refried beans, salad and either dressing or salsa. Good stuff! We used this recipe this time. The bread came out slightly crisp on the outside, soft on the inside, with a yummy, brown flavor. Very good!

2 comments:

HereinisLOVE said...

I love fry bread! my family is Creek, Cherokee, and Blackfoot. So when I was younger I wanted to learn recipes to be able to teach my children. Fry bread was and is a favorite. You've inspired me to make some for my family! (it's funny how you plan things out as a child and forget them as an adult!)

Sara said...

The first time I ever had it was at your house when Jessica made it. After not eating for the beginning of the pregnancy, this tasted like salvation! I love it! Thank you so much for linking the recipe!