Thursday, October 6, 2011

Homemade Deodorant

In my continued efforts to replace commercial health and beauty products laden with harmful chemicals with healthy alternatives, I was thrilled when my friend Kelly gave me her recipe for homemade deodorant! Most of my life I had used a commercial deodorant until some years ago I learned how the aluminum in it can accumulate in my body and possibly put cancer and other health issues into my future!

Okay, the recipe. I did not have all of the ingredients listed in the original, but I altered it a bit and came up with this:

Ingredients:
2 or 3 Tbsp coconut oil
3 or 4 drops GSE (Grapefruit Seed Extract)*
1/4 cup baking soda
1/4 cup talcum powder** (I use baby powder, because I like the scent.)
a few drops essential oil like lavender (Optional. I omit this since I use baby powder.)

Soften the coconut oil in a small saucepan, and add the rest of the ingredients. Mix very well with a spatula, then scrape it out into a small container. I put mine into a 4" x 4" square plastic container, and once it hardens, I cut it into four squares for easy application. The soft mixture can also be put into an empty commercial deodorant container, which sounds like a really good idea! (Haven't tried it myself, yet.) Allow to harden at room-temperature or in the refrigerator, depending on the climate where you live. Now it's ready to use!


I was really surprised how effective this deodorant is. I was relieved, too, because my deodorant crystal was not working as well for me as it used to. (Probably due to hormone changes.) If you try it out, let me know how it works for you!

~.~ Good health to you and yours! ~.~

* Original recipe calls for Tea Tree Oil, which I do not have, but intend to try out some day!

** The original recipe called for corn starch instead of the talcum powder I use, but I'm trying to get away from using (modified) corn starch, too.

8 comments:

Mary said...

I really want to try this! Thank you so much for posting it. I'm trying to get to a more natural approach to health products as well, so this is awesome!~ Mary

Unknown said...

I can't wait to try this. I'm also trying to use more natural products but the only deodorant recipes I have seen use baking soda and that broke me out in a rash. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Rashel

proud2Bmomma said...

Cool! You referenced me! LOL I'm glad its working for you. I still love mine. Works way better for me than the commercial every did!

Unknown said...

Mary, I hope you like it!

Rashel, I think it was the baking soda in the recipe that made my husband break out, too. I'm thinking about reducing the b/s to one tablespoon (filling in the rest with talcum) to see how that would treat his skin. I'd be interested to see how your experiments go, as well!

Aliene said...

I have looked for a natural deodorant
since I found out I had mercury in my body.
One of the first things mentioned was commercial deodorant, then canned soft drinks, anything that has aluminum in it. I have been going natural for several years now.
Thanks for posting.

Tammy said...

So glad to learn of this! I wasn't aware that commercial deoderant can put aluminum in your body. I have eliminated using baking powder for that reason but didn't know it could come from the other also. I will definitely try this soon. Does it harden up good?

Unknown said...

Yep! Anything you put on your skin goes into your body, and aluminum just accumulates there. Good for you, eliminating baking powder! Most brands to contain aluminum, but health food stores often carry brands which do not.

When I first mix the deodorant recipe it is pretty soft, but it does harden up, very much like regular solid deodorant.

Brenda said...

Hi Tammy!!
I'm sure you don't remember me, but your sweet little family was even in our home when you had just your first two girls and you visited our church {Galilean Baptist Church in Cedar Hill, TX.} We now attend Worth Baptist in Fort Worth and our church supports your family. ANYWAY!! I've enjoyed your blog, and watching your family grow. The Lord has led us recently on a journey to better health and this post was so interesting to me as I've been trying some of those aluminum free deodorants from the health-food stores. I'm having the same sort of issue that you are with them not working very well, so I'm going to try your homemade version. Then, today I came upon this and thought I'd share it with you.....http://www.lifetimemoms.com/money-saving-tips/blog/homemade-deodorant-recipe?cmpid=Social_Facebook_Money-Savings_10132011_2