Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Can't afford a new baby right now?

I hear that a lot from people who use finances as a reason to use contraceptives, and it baffles me. I'm not going to get into whether it's right or wrong to delay childbearing, but honestly, are finances a real reason for it?

I guess for us, having a baby is not a huge expense. We are not ones to purchase a lot of expensive equipment for a baby. If there is something "big" that we need, we try to find it used. We shop for clothing and bedding at thrift stores, or we make it. For the first year, the child is fed mainly breastmilk, which is free. How is having a baby expensive?

And besides that, where is God in all this? Does He cease to be the Provider when a baby comes along? Is He not the Giver of life, and can He not afford the children He sends? For those who are His own, I just don't see how finances can be a feasible reason to use contraceptives. Not only does He provide necessities, but He adds many blessings to the family because of the child!

"Sorry, Lord! I can't afford to receive the blessing You would send, so I'll just turn You down this time. Thanks, anyway."

Doesn't make any sense!

8 comments:

HereinisLOVE said...

I totally agree with you on this one! YHVH says Himself that children are a blessing, so why don't more people see them as such? Everyone keeps asking us, well telling us really that we should be done with children. I ONLY HAVE TWO! they act like I have 20 or something lol. We'll be done when HE says we're done!

Elizabeth said...

oh, I hear this one a lot too. What gets me, is how much money do you have to save up or earn to be able to afford it? It all depends on priorities: if your child is going to be taught that he needs new, department store clothing, new furniture, involvement in all sorts of worldly clubs (little league, pageants, etc), the newest toys for them to be able to "learn" and the list can go on for ever. We have 4 and have never bought a piece of furniture or bedding for them.

Sort of to go with what HereinisLOVE said: I went into a store the other day to use an ATM machine. I had my 3 yo daughter and 18 month old son. The clerk's eyes widened and she said, "You sure have your hands full!" She nearly passed out when I chuckled and told her that my 7 and 6 year olds were at piano lesson! Have my hands full?! With just two?! I don't feel like my hands are too full with 4.

Elizabeth said...

I didn't make the point of that first paragraph clear, I think. What I was getting at was this: at what point does one have "enough" money for a child? We surely would never have what most would consider to be enough.

DariLolis said...

Amen!!!

Querida Hermana Tammy: Siempre es tan alentador y tan animante leer lo que escribes para honra y gloria de nuestro Señor.

Dios te bendiga querida Hermana.

Con amor en Cristo:
Lolita.

Tammy said...

Amen to all the comments and to the post. God can provide and it is usually a matter of priorities and not wanting to give up your own wants and desires where the money issue comes in.

Glad to see you blogging again! Hope ya don't fade out on us again. You always give thought provoking posts.

Yeshua Faith said...

You sure do share lots of wisdom in your posts, dear lady in The Lord YHVH. Thank you!
Kathy

Priscilla said...

I am the oldest of 9. I remember when someone would tell my father he had too many children, he would say, "Really, which one should we not have had?" Many little eyes would than look up at the critic, who would grow all flustered and embarrassed. I personally used to find the person's discomfort amusing, since I loved each of my siblings, and was annoyed when someone made such comments!

Unknown said...

Oh, how funny! You have a wise father, MarksGirl. Love it!