Thursday, July 23, 2009

Does Jesus feel welcome in our homes?

An old friend of mine has got me to thinking about Lazarus, and his sisters Mary and Martha. They are mentioned several times in the gospels, and were very good friends of the Lord Jesus. They lived in Bethany, which was located just about two miles from Jerusalem.

This is the Mary who anointed Jesus with expensive ointment, and wiped his feet with her hair. This is the same Martha who toiled in the kitchen, complaining to the Lord that her sister had left her to do all the work. Both sisters expressed the tiniest smidge of doubt when their brother Lazarus had died and Jesus showed up four days "late," so they thought. It makes me smile when I think of how I can relate to these very human people!

With all their quirks, these three, Lazarus, Mary, and Martha, had a home in which the Lord Jesus felt welcome. Several times when Jesus was in Jerusalem, pressed by crowds, selflessly ministering to people, teaching those who would listen, and being wearied by hypocritical Pharisees asking pointless questions in order to trap him with his words... we see Him at the end of the day, resorting to Bethany to rest in the house of Lazarus, Martha, and Mary.

What was it about these particular people that made Jesus feel welcome in their home?

I think, first of all, they were humble. Humility is willingness to yield. Humility is the absence of pride. When humility hears a Word from the Lord, it says, "I will obey." Jesus could recognize pride immediately, and always rebuked it. No doubt Lazarus, Mary, and Martha must have been humble people.

It follows that they were also obedient. Jesus said, "If ye love me, keep my commandments." A simple thing, even if it is easier said than done sometimes. There is no clearer demonstration of our love for God, than our obedience to Him.

Due to their obedience, I believe they were people who lived a holy lifestyle. Holiness is very underrated these days, and many preachers never preach about it, because it makes people uncomfortable. "But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation [lifestyle]; Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy."

Lazarus, Mary, and Martha were not without their flaws, as we have seen. But I think the key to having a home where Jesus feels welcome is found in our heart attitudes. We should be aware of our shortcomings, willing to listen to His Word, and ready to yield and make changes as He deems best.

An attitude like that is like a big, cheery sign on the door that says, Jesus is welcome here!

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

But I think the key to having a home where Jesus feels welcome is found in our heart attitudes.
Seems like that's where it always gets back to, doesn't it? Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life!

Tammy said...

Good post. I was planning on posting about Lazarus because Bob preached Sunday morning about him. If people would only think and consider that question you asked, it would stop them from doing many things they do or change many things within their home.

Day Cares Chandler AZ said...

Beautiful post!

Thank you,

Lindsay

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful thought, to open our doors with a smile to everyone who enters. What a difference that one change could make in this world! Thank you.

Unknown said...

Just thinking of you. We drove through San Juan yesterday. Came by your site and am surprised to see it's been a couple weeks since you've posted anything. Hope everything is going well, and that you're just busy busy with the good things in the life of a wife and mother.

-Amy

Unknown said...

Thanks for checking in on me, Amy! Posting now..

DariLolis said...

It's very encouraging to read your posts again, my dearest Sister Tammy. I praise our Lord for it!

Lately, the Holy Spirit of God has spoken to my heart to encourage other Sisters in Christ to love our Lord (with all our heart, soul, mind and strength- Mark 12:30) through our obedience.
I have shared with them (by quoting the Bible verses that our Lord has given me) that the best we can do to show Him our love, gratitude, reverence and respect is by obeying Him immediately, willingly and joyfuly (John 14:21, Luke 6:46, 1 John 2:4)

I also have shared some thoughts about humility (Philippians 2:5-11, James 4:10) and the holiness of God (1 Peter 1:16, Leviticus 11:44-45)

And by reading your post I have been so blessed by knowing in my heart that God has smiled at me. I am so deeply thankful with HIM.

My prayers for you and your precious family.

With so much love in Jesus Christ, our Lord and Saviour,
Sis. Lolita.