Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Pro-Life Thinking

Almost everyone I know personally would say that they are pro-life. What most people mean when they say that is that they are anti-abortion, meaning they think it is wrong to destroy a life that has been conceived. I have known many people who believe that, and yet they are not quite pro-life.

Of whom do I speak? Of those women who say it is their right to close their own womb.

"For thou hast possessed my reins: thou hast covered me in my mother's womb."

Our Creator fashioned a beautiful plan called the family. One man and one woman unite in a unique, holy, spiritual and physical union that God blesses and said from the beginning that it is good. The natural blessing of that union is children, which are to be received with thanksgiving and love, as gifts from God. Why then do we turn away His blessings, taking the reins in our own hands? By doing so, we not only insult the Creator, but we deny ourselves the blessings that He would bestow upon us.

"I will praise thee; for I am fearfully and wonderfully made: marvellous are thy works; and that my soul knoweth right well."

Who is it that is the Giver of Life? It is the Lord. How often does He want to give new life to the family He wants to bless? If we will take our controls off the womb, we will find out what His will is. But it has even been declared "irresponsible" to have more than -x- number of children. Does that attitude come from God?

"Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: and the fruit of the womb is his reward."


Why is it that we can trust Him for our salvation, but we can't trust Him to form our families? Do we know what is best, better than our Creator does? Of course not. Then why do we wrest from His creative hands the right to create a life? We have become arrogant and self-serving. We block the womb, and then dare God to work a miracle if He wants us to have another child. What wickedness!

"Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it:"


Satan has attacked the very cradle of life: the woman's body. He has whispered a lie in her ear that it's her body, and she believed the lie. This one lie has led to both abortion and to birth control. Why is Satan concerned with the fruit of the womb?

"As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth."

Children, raised up in a loving, godly home, are the offensive weapons against Satan! Open your eyes, Christians!

"Happy is the man that hath his quiver full of them: they shall not be ashamed, but they shall speak with the enemies in the gate."

14 comments:

Diane Shiffer said...

when pressed about this issue, i don't say that birth control is wrong...
but i do say that it is never wrong to entrust anything to the Lord, never unwise to leave anything to His judgment or keeping. how can you trust God too much?♥

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting this Tammy. I agree with you, and I wish I was as bold as you are about it. Sadly, we go to a church were we are the only ones who beieve this, and some are pretty vocal in their belief that God is not in control of the womb.

Thanks,
Amy

Elizabeth said...

Here's my dilemma. It's only been in the past two years that I've started to learn teachings on going with no birth control (not that we've ever done much, haha). I've always wanted a big family. I had trouble deliveries. My three children were born via c-section. I *wish* now that I had gone with a midwife or some alternative, but hey, hindsight is 20/20 vision, right? As I carry my fourth child, I can feel distinct pain along my incision site. I'm in pain nearly daily from injuries from epidural. I've read about c-section births with "quiverfull" minded people, who after 3 or 4 sections have natural birth. These are done by a midwife. There's no doctor around who will even consider a natural birth and there is no midwife around for 200 miles. My body can't handle so many surgeries so close together. I feel like my hands are tied.

Tammy said...

Thank you for your post. It must be a pressing issue for you because you have posted about it before. I think the topic must come up often in your life. I agree for the most part but there are some of us who have doctors tell us after two very troubled pregnancies and deliveries that you are endangering yourself and the baby to continue having them. He even told me "You are done." My daughter was almost a still born - her heart wasn't beating and was revived by three doctors. She almost died and so did I. My son was born by c-section after much pre-mature labor. I was told after a car/train accident when I was 18 that I would not likely be able to carry children. This devasted me because I had always wanted a large family. I am very stubborn and decided to try even if it killed me. It took time to conceive and then the pregnancy was plagued with complications and so was the delivery. Both times. God did know more than the doctors who said I probably couldn't have children but it was a difficult road. I had my tubes tied and have had another procedure called balloon oblation because I was having excessive bleeding when I was 34. This was an attempt to avoid a hysterectomy. I actually thought I might be pregnant last weekend but am not. I think it is beginning of early menopause.
I just wanted to voice that it is not always an easy choice, nor a selfish one, when someone chooses a form of birth control though I DO agree that it can be.

Unknown said...

Hello, Tammy! Thank you for your comments. From what you say your desires were, I would say that you are definitely a "pro-life" thinker. No one could accuse you of despising babies, or for making the decision to have your tubes tied flippantly. You are right... sometimes it is not an easy choice at all.

Unknown said...

Diane, that is well-put. We just can't trust God too much, can we? Thank you for that perspective!

Unknown said...

Amy, it is sad that "Christian" women are so brazen about an attitude that is so ungodly. I think women in the church have been affected by the feminist movement as much as any woman in the world.

A follower of Jesus ought to have a different mindset. We are to put off the old man, "and be renewed in the spirit of (our) mind(s)."

Unknown said...

Elizabeth, that is a real dilemma. I feel for you, and I can not offer you advice. You'll have to pray about this one (I know you surely have been), and seek God's face about it.

We were unable to find a midwife when I was going to have my first baby in Guatemala. So we had her unassisted, and the next two as well. That kind of homebirth is NOT for everyone, and probably not for you in your circumstances, but that is how we dealt with it, and God took care of us.

I know that many times the doctors in hospitals pressure women to have c-sections, or they induce labor, which causes complications that bring on the need for a c-section. It is so sad, and causes so many unnecessary troubles for the mother (but not for the doc, incidentally). You are not the first to find herself facing another c-section, or a vbac and the uncertainties of it.

I will pray for you, Elizabeth, and may the Lord open up the doors for you to have a safe, healthy, happy birth!

Bro. Daniel said...

I just wanted to mention to Mrs. Elizabeth that she might talk with the lady in Oregon and see about what benefits a water birth would be (Tammy you will need to get her that information).
Daniel

PJ Academy said...

My question is what about those people who entrust this aspect of their life in God's Hands yet do not take care of the children they have? Not that they should have an abortion but for heaven sake STOP having more if one you can not financially or physically (due to the lack of wanting to) take care of them.

And as an adoptive Mom is more then one way to have a quiverfull. They do not have to be bio to be "yours" :)

Jennifer
From IFB Moms on Cafemom :)

Unknown said...

Hi Jennifer! That is a sad, sad situation, when the children are not cared for. With the blessings come responsibilities. Rather than tell them to use birth control, I would encourage them to learn how to raise godly children! I'm still learning myself, every day.

And as far as finances, when we follow God's principles for living, He blesses in ways we never thought possible. We can learn to be wise and frugal with what we have, too, and make it stretch further.

You are certainly correct about there being another way to have a quiverfull, lol! God bless you as you allow Him to "build your house" through adoption. :o)

Thanks for stopping by!

PJ Academy said...

I get that God will take care of you when you follow His Will for your number of children. But IMO it is not someone else responsibility to take care of another person child. I don't think you should count on ANYONE doing it for you. Their finances are not a lack of blessing as much as it is a lack of responsibility.

And I agree they should be learning how to parent BUT sadly they do not see the "problem" and don't want to.

It's just a sad situation all around.

Unknown said...

You are right, God places that responsibility (practically speaking) squarely on the shoulders of the parents, and not welfare or any other gov't entity. (Although it is not wrong for the church to help out their own when families fall on hard times.)

It is too bad that there are parents out there who have no desire to take up their God-given responsibilities (and thus reap rich rewards)! But I can not answer for those people, I can only answer for myself.

Myah said...

Thank, you Tammy. You said it. I agree 100%.