Thursday, March 19, 2009

The No 'Poo Movement

(Don't worry, it has nothing to do with constipation.)

I keep seeing news bits about people who are giving up shampoo and turning to alternative hair-care methods. Have you heard of this yet? I can hear your reactions, "Ewwwwww! No shampoo? Gross!" And that was my first reaction, too!

There are several reasons for doing it. Some cite health reasons, some are looking for "greener" ways of living or ways to be more frugal, and others simply have sensitive skin and want to try going without the shampoos that irritate their scalps.

In light of the recent news of carcinogens (!!) detected in children's shampoo products, and the fact that most commercial shampoos do contain toxic ingredients that should not come in contact with our skin, I'm inclined to give it a try. After all, my grandma didn't wash her hair every day, and her hair looks great in all the pictures! Maybe the women of her day were on to something...

One article I read showed photos of a woman before and after her no 'poo experiment. Before, her hair was straight and lifeless. After, she had discovered that her hair has a nice, natural wave, and it has more body. She said it was much healthier, and she didn't have to fuss over her hair so much after she stopped using shampoo.

Anyway, here is one article that I found very helpful. And if you're interested, you can do a search online of "No 'Poo", and you will find plenty to read about it.

I'm going to give it a try for a few weeks, or until I can't stand it anymore, ha ha. The last time I washed my hair with shampoo was Sunday morning, March 15th. I will let you know how things go!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

lol...so funny. I read about this yesterday also and was like "hmmmm...really I think I might try this 2"

That article also said that people used to only wash their hair once a month. I started washing only twice a week and my hair is better than when I washed every other day.
Yeahhhh I don't know about washing it once a monthe. OMW it would smell HORRIBLE but, I can certianly baking soda wash and just use a bit of conditioner since I have a more "ethnic" hair it seems to be a must for me to get out all the snags.
Keep us posted

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy!

I think I might try that, too. I hate spending money on shampoo and conditioner, and have thought for a while that there must be a better way. Are you trying this with your daughters, also? We have three daughters--I wonder if it would work for them.

Thanks for sharing this!

Amy

Anonymous said...

BTW...I was thinking and looking and I found this site as an alternative to chemical induced shampoo this is all natural and covers all of you soap needs.

I love all in ones.

http://thesoapnutshop.co.nz/index.php?pr=Home_Page

Diane Shiffer said...

i have heard about this beofre, and actually my oldest daughter tried it about a year ago. it didn't work out so well for her... but her experiment got me to thinking. and i've gradually washed my hair les and less often. now i wash my hair once a week. considering i used to wash it at least once a day, that's quite a change. my hair looks fine, very soft and healthy too.

i'll be interested to hear how your experiment works out!

Unknown said...

Amy, I think I will do this for my daughters, too. My oldest daughter (10 yrs) wanted to try it out, so she did the baking soda wash & vinegar rinse today. We both liked the results!

Tori Leslie said...

Oh wow, you are so adventurous!
Don't think I'll try this with you but I'm interested in your results.

What are the details? Do you now wash at all? How often and with what?