Wednesday, February 23, 2011

The Manners of Women

"From all that I had read of history and government of human life and manners, I had drawn this conclusion, that the manners of women were the most infallible barometer to ascertain the degree of morality and virtue of a nation.

"The Jews, the Greeks, the Romans, the Swiss, the Dutch, all lost their public spirit and their republican forms of government when they lost the modesty and domestic virtues of their women."

~John Adams, 2nd President of the U.S.


Interesting, that the moral state of a nation's women should be such an accurate measure of the state of the nation itself. Why is that?

6 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

Hey Tammy,
I'm so glad to see you blogging again. I miss hearing about the Coates family.
I heard we're gonna miss each other on furlough. WE are home now since Cody is graduating in May and then he'll stay behind for college.
Anyhow, glad to hear from you. I miss a lot not being on Facebook. :0)

BTW, this was a great thought and so true. Much rests on the shoulders of mothers.

Tell everyone hello for the Leslies. I heard Daniel called Johnny today.

Anyhoo, gotta get ready to go to a meeting!

Amy said...

ooooo I like that quote Tammy. I would have to agree completely!

<3
~Amy

Elizabeth said...

I read this quote on a website just today. Its credited to Jack Hyles, but I haven't confirmed it.

"When the devil decides to destroy a society, he starts off with the woman."

Anonymous said...

Greetings from Southern California

I am your newest follower.
I invite you to visit my blog.
And become a follower if you want to.

God Bless You :-)

Phillip Riley said...

Glad to see you posting again!

It is true that the hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world. I'm blessed to have a very modest dressing wife.

Tammy said...

My husband has used those quotes before while preaching. They are soooo true! History shows it. Look at the decline of the United States after the women's movement and such. If the women set the tone of the home then why would it not stand to reason that it would trickle over into a nation eventually?