Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Millstones and Modesty

I remember the days when one of my little boys would streak through the livingroom after bathtime, naked and without a thought about it. As a toddler, he had no sense of modesty whatsoever, as should be expected from a little one.

Over time, he became aware of what nakedness is and started to keep himself covered up. He realized (with little help from us) the inherent shame of being naked, and actually preferred to cover his body. I thank God for it, because we learn from the Garden of Eden that it is right and proper to cover ourselves in this fallen world.

Ah, the slow awakening of a child's conscience! It is the parent's help in raising them to be God-fearing and holy (set-apart). We should never, ever violate that sense of modesty by dressing them in skimpy clothes because it's "cute" or because the weather's hot.

But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea. (Matthew 18:6)

That word "offend" doesn't mean what people think it means. It does not mean to cause vexation or annoyance. Here it means to entrap, scandalize, entice to sin. To offend a little one means to train him/her to sin!

Let us consider Biblical guidelines for modesty when dressing our littlest ones, too.

8 comments:

Elizabeth said...

This reminds me of something that happened at our home recently. The weather has begun to turn warm here in Florida. I pulled out the nightgowns for my daughter who turned for last month. I was helping her get ready for bed and slipped the gown over her head. She tugged and pulled at it and frowned deeply at me: "Look Mommy!" and points to her knees. The gown was about 1 inch above the top of her knee cap. "I can't wear this Mommy. It's all wrong."

For a sliver of a second my thought was, "Oh Lydia, you're going straight to bed. You'll be under the covers anyway." Very quickly I perished the thought. I smiled, so pleased that she knew what immodest was without being told. I put her back into the flannel gown.

Nightgowns are nearly impossible to find in the goodwill, the discount stores and the expensive department stores. We were blessed to find 2 perfect nightgowns the very next week!

Unknown said...

That's neat, Elizabeth! I know what you mean about long nightgowns being hard to find. I'm so glad the Lord provided some for your girl. :oD

HereinisLOVE said...

Its so sad what people will put on children! I already have a hard time shopping for my 2 year old!

Tammy said...

Tammy, Love your new look on the blog! Looks great! Very good post. It is hard to find modest clothing even for toddlers. Those who can sew well have an advantage. Tho, I have found that isn't always a cheaper route!

Randy said...

I really like what you have done to your blog home page. It really looks great,nice job.

sarah said...

Amen Tammy!
Insightful and wisely spoken.
You are a blessing to many!

Thank you for sharing... keep writing and sharing and raising your children for the glory of our Lord Jesus!

love,
Sarah

Yeshua Faith said...

What wisdom you have shared, dear lady in The Lord YHVH! Thank you!
Kathy

Torah Observant Gentile said...

I couldn't agree with you more, just purchased a modest swimsuit for my daughter :) Why would we make allowances for the weather, fashion, what others my think, while all the while trying to teach modesty and purity?