Monday, September 29, 2008

What to do when the lights are out...

The power has been out for the better part of the day, and we couldn't help but wonder if it had anything to do with the protests going on in town. It would blink on briefly from time to time, but mostly we just did without. So I'm posting quickly, while we have power!

I gave up on getting laundry done, but I did fire up the one thing that functions without electricity: My gas oven.

I (heart) my gas oven!

We had some strawberries on hand that were a bit past their prime, so I made three loaves of Strawberry Bread. It turned out so moist and good, I thought I'd share this delicious recipe with you.



Strawberry Bread

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour loaf pans.

3 cups flour (I used half whole-wheat.)
1 tsp salt
2 cups sugar
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 T cinnamon

Combine these ingredients, then make a well in the center. Then add...

4 eggs, beaten
1 1/4 cups oil

Combine well, then stir in...

1 cup chopped pecans
16 pkg frozen strawberries, with the juice
(I used fresh, not frozen, and added just a bit of apple juice for moisture.)

Pour batter into two or three loaf pans and bake at 350 F for 40 minutes (three loaves) or up to 60 minutes (for two large loaves).

The recipe included a glaze to drizzle over the top, but we found that entirely unnecessary.



...I also made two apple-cheese pies, not to be confused with cheesecake. Didn't have a recipe, so this was just an experiment. I'll probably post about them once we've tasted them!

6 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

Oh Tammy,
That bread looks wonderful!!
Thanks for the recipe. So whose hand is that reaching for a piece?

Unknown said...

That is Johanna's hand. I thought the pic was cute, so had to post it! :o)

Bro. Daniel said...

I told my wife that this recipe "was a keeper" and that it rivaled her banana nut bread recipe. It was soooo good that I was too full of this bread to even try her pies. That rarely if ever happens! Life is much more difficult with power outages and protects, but one cannot be suffering so badly with a great cook like my wife. -DH

Nina in Portugal said...

That looks wonderful!

I LOVE Banana Nut Bread...so if this is as good, I think I'll try it.

Thanks for taking the time to post it!

Tammy said...

It looks awesome! Can't wait to try it. Bro. Daniel, I'm glad you know what a great cook and wife you have! She has shown many great things she has made. Some women wouldn't know what to do if they only had a gas oven and had to cook without the lights!

Anonymous said...

Mmmmm....I think it's time to dig around in the freezer for frozen strawberries! I think I recall a failed attempt at freezer jam. I saved the concoction, and I think if I reduce the sugar and liquid in this recipe, it'll work. I think. I hope. 'Cause that looks scrumptious.