Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Hello? Anybody around?


...[crickets chirping]...


Well, I haven't been, either! After three weeks of VBS, and a wonderful (if not altogether too brief) visit from my cousin Shelley, AND being without internet for a few days, it's been too long since I posted. It certainly wasn't for lack of subject matter!

Now that things are getting back to "normal" again, I will be able to write. It's all too much for just one post, so stay tuned.

*****

We've had frost on the ground most mornings, and even during the sunny days our house stays cool enough to need a sweater. We sadly bid adieu to fall, and I made a creamed soup with the last of the squash. The family raved about it, so I'll share my recipe just in case you have a gourd or two still lying around:

Creamed Squash and Potato Soup

one large squash, seeded and cubed
4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and sliced
salt to taste
milk
diced ham

Place the squash, potatoes, and salt into a large soup pot and add just enough water to cook the vegetables until soft. Spoon into a blender and puree until smooth. Return the puree to the pot and pour in enough milk to make it the consistency you want. Add diced ham and simmer for 15 minutes or so.


Even Joseph, my pickiest eater, asked for seconds. This one definitely gets written into my "keepers" recipe book!

I hope you are all staying warm and well this winter, especially those of you in the North.

4 comments:

Nina in Portugal said...

It's good to see you back! I'm sure you've enjoyed the last few weeks!

Merry Christmas to you and your family!!

Anonymous said...

Wishing you and your family a very Merry Christmas. God bless you as you minister for Him there in Guatemala. - Ruth H.
P.S. Glad to see you are back to blogging, looking forward to more posts!

Bro. Daniel said...

I did so enjoy the soup. It was delicious! Thanks again Tam. Jillian liked it so much in her outspoken way, she even was asking that to be made for her next birthday.

Love ya,
Daniel

Tammy said...

Glad you are back! That recipe sounds just like something Bob would like. Can't wait to try it. Thanks.