Friday, February 13, 2009

Food on Fridays


Today's post is a lesson in leavening. If you are ever caught without baking powder, or if you prefer not to use it because of the aluminum content, you can leaven just about any recipe that calls for baking powder using this old-fashioned method. Add baking soda using half the measure of baking powder called for, and add 1 tsp vinegar per cup of liquid called for. For example, my pancake recipe calls for 1 Tbsp baking powder (so I use 1/2 Tbsp soda) plus 2 cups milk (I add 2 tsp vinegar).

My mom taught me this trick, and she remembers my grandmother doing the same thing. It sure is a nice alternative to baking powder, especially since studies are finding that aluminum causes health problems in much smaller quantities than they used to say.

Try it, and let me know how it works for you!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm SO glad you explained this--I've often thought I should try to figure out alternatives to baking powder, even just for the days I run out. We've been buying the Rumford brand that claims it is aluminum free. This is a great way to keep flipping pancakes, even if I run out. Thanks for participating in Food on Fridays!

Anonymous said...

This is so funny you mentioned this because this weekend I had a major leavening lesson. I made some pink lemonade cupcakes and completely forgot to add the baking powder, total disaster. Since that recipe failed I decided to make some red velvet cupcakes and the recipes calls for baking soda and vinegar. Worked like a charm and they were so good.

Anonymous said...

I found you through Ann's Food on Fridays! Thanks for the tip! I'll have to remember that.
-Kim

Tammy said...

What a great tip! Thanks for the info.

Kayla said...

So, whats if I'm making cookies and the closest thing to a 'liquid' I have is 2 eggs and a cup of butter? Thanks!

Unknown said...

Kayla, what I've done is just throw in a teaspoon of vinegar when using a low-liquid recipe like cookies. It's not enough to affect the flavor, but is enough to react with the soda.

I'd love to hear how it works for you!