Thursday, November 20, 2008

The tradition of Giving Thanks

I love autumn. I love the cool, crisp air and the rustle of corn stalks waiting to be harvested. I love pulling out the warm sweaters and dressing in layers. But most of all, I love it that we have a day set aside when family, extended family, friends who are like family, and people in need of family, come together to acknowlege God's goodness.

For He is Good!

Last month we started a new tradition that we call the Thanks Box.


I covered a small shoe box with fabric, then printed Psalm 107:21-22 onto pretty cardstock, to affix to the top of our box.

"Oh that men would praise the LORD for his goodness, and for his wonderful works to the children of men!

And let them sacrifice the sacrifices of thanksgiving, and declare his works with rejoicing."


Every member of the family may write down on slips of paper what they are thankful for, and add them to our box anytime.

On Thanksgiving Day, we will all gather together to open our box and read all of the things that we thank God for, and praise Him together for His goodness and for His wonderful works.

For He is so Good!

Soon after Thanksgiving Day this year, we'll make another box for a full year of acknowledging the Lord's goodness to us.

That's what Thanks Giving is all about!

5 comments:

Nina in Portugal said...

What a neat thought!

Tori Leslie said...

We did this before, not this year but when my kids were smaller. We did a thanks-giving jar, but the same concept.
Bet they can't wait for Thanksgiving so they can open that box.
Have a blessed Lord's Day!

Tammy said...

What a wonderful idea! Think I'll do it for next year.

Tammy said...

I love your idea! I have tried so far hard to keep our daughter mindful of God's blessings and teach her to be thankful. God has been so good to us and we most assuredly want to be thankful for all He does. I love reading your blog, I read it often, it is always an encouragement.
Happy Thanksgiving!

KasaYeshua said...

What an inspiring idea! Thank you, Tammy, for sharing it!
Kathy in n.e. TN
kasawisdom@gmail.com