Friday, May 22, 2009

Food on Fridays ~ Froggy Cupcakes!



The froggy cupcakes we made for my son's birthday were really easy.


First we baked up 24 cupcakes, filling them only halfway full of batter to prevent them from running over during baking. After they were cool, I spread each thick with green frosting.

For the eyes, we cut a large marshmallow in half with kitchen scissors and stuck an M&M onto the sticky side. We painted the tops of the marshmallow eyes with green food coloring, but I think it would look better dipped into green sugar.

We stuck the eyes onto each cupcake, and drew a silly mouth on with pink frosting squeezed from the tip of a Ziploc bag.

These were so easy to make, and it was fun to arrange the eyes and mouth to make different froggy expressions! When birthdays come around here, I start looking for fresh ideas for cakes, and I find all sorts of fancy cakes online. But the ideas I really use (and that the children like the most) are typically simple ones like this one. :o)

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

These. Are. So. CUTE!

I think I can do this, and you know what? With a name like "Kroeker," I think we really ought to make these our specialty dessert when we go to pitch-ins, don't you think?

Unknown said...

You crack me UP, Ann! :o)

Sharinskishe said...

These are so cute and tasty I'll bet. I like your idea to use green sugar on the eyes, I think that would look better too.

Thanks for sharing with us.

SnoWhite said...

those are great! Frogs hold a special spot in our marriage... these might just have to make an appearance someday!

Tammy said...

Way cute! Thanks for the idea. Hope we get a chance to use these for VBS someday.

Rebekah said...

I just read that you are pregnant! Congrats!!!!!!!

Tori Leslie said...

Those are way too cute!!!