Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Homemade tortillas

For years I put off trying to make flour tortillas at home, thinking it must be too difficult. And why go through the trouble anyway, when they are available at the store, mass-produced, packaged, and ready to go?

Welll, I found out that those icky mass-produced, ready-made tortillas are not to be compared to hot, homemade ones. And they are actually very easy to make! Here's the recipe we use. I call it mine, because I've adapted it :o)

4 cups flour (use as much whole wheat as you want)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup olive oil
1 to 1 1/4 cups water

Sift flour, salt and baking powder together. Sprinkle with oil, and mix until you have even crumbs (no big ones). Stir in one cup of the water, then add just a little at a time until you have a workable dough (meaning when you knead it, it doesn't "crack" where you bend it). Knead about twenty times.

Let the dough sit for 10 minutes, then start heating a large skillet or griddle to med/high heat, not high enough to make it smoke. Your cooking surface should be dry, not greased. Divide the dough into 12 equal balls, and roll them out into circles as thin as you can get them. Cook the tortillas for about 30 seconds on each side, or until the dough is firm and you see browned spots.

These are so delicious while they are hot! We have eaten them with refried beans, cheese and salsa, etc. They are also yummy for a snack, with butter and honey on them. Oh, the possibilities.

They take about twenty minutes to make, start to finish, and that is if you roll them out, like I do. If you happen to have a tortilla press, you could whip these out all the faster!

¡Buen provecho!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy,
These sound wonderful. I must give them a go. I am trying to get back to making things from scratch instead of buying stuff prepackaged. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
blessings Sandra in New Zealand

Nina in Portugal said...

I can't get tortilla's here so I've been meaning to make some for a while now. I have a recipe that I've not tried yet, but since yours worked so well, I think I'll just start with yours. Do you think you could double the recipe, and then freeze the left-overs??

Thanks for sharing!

Tammy said...

Thanks for the recipe. I have wanted to try them for a long time also but just keep putting it off.

Tori Leslie said...

We love homemade tortillas!! I first learned to make them when we came to Croatia and found NO Mexican food at all.

Thanks for posting this recipe, it's almost the same as mine. I will say that you must be so much faster, it takes me longer than 20 minutes to make enough for everyone. Rolling takes the longest!

Enjoy!

Tracy said...

Ooooh...I have never thought about making them home-made. Yum, I bet they are great. Thanks for the idea!
Just wanted to pop in and say HI.
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, Tammy, I'm with you! Years ago a dear Mexican friend gave me her recipe for flour tortillas, and truly there is no comparison with store-bought. Have you tried making your own corn tortillas? All you need is one of those little presses, inexpensive at a Mexican grocery store.

Traci @ The Bakery said...

It is so strange that I ended up here...and you are blogging about making tortillas. We just went to the local Mexican supermarket and they had NONE!!! I had to buy STORE BOUGHT....ick. Your recipe sure makes it sound easy....I must give it a try. Thanks!!!

Anonymous said...

I started making these tortillas for our family of three the other night, but on looking at how much sauce I had made realised that I may need to call in reinforcements so I invited my parents and my sister for dinner. Even my dad was RAVING about how wonderful these tortillas were.

I couldn't roll them thin enough last time we made them but I have it down to a fine art with my pasta maker now... even if they are more square/rectangular than round ;)

Sara