Saturday, October 4, 2008

Xela has a Stuff-Mart


This is the new mega-store in town. It's called "Cemaco", and it looks kinda like Sears, or maybe a mini-Sam's.


We went to check it out yesterday, but I didn't bring the camera, hence the photos of the ads! They have a little bit of everything, I think.


(The prices are in quetzales. Divide by 7.4 to get the price in US$.)


Oh, see that brown and black "welcome" mat on the left? We bought one of those for our front door. It is so nice, and really knocks the mud off all those little shoes that come in and out all day!


I got a little bit glassy-eyed walking through the kitchen gadget section. Look straight ahead and just...keep...walking....


And look! A real lawn mower! It used to be that you had to go all the way to the capitol to find those. Probably because most people here still used machetes to cut the lawn, lol.


Looky here, right next to the modern fixtures are the big, multi-use pilas. What? You don't have a pila in your house? LOL! It is used for everything from washing clothes and dishes, to bathing children. Now that I'm used to my pila, I don't know how I ever did without it!


And here are modern roof shingles, next to a modernized version of the Spanish tile.

How things are changing here in our beloved Xela! Modern conveniences sure can make life easier, but it makes me a little sad.

Can't quite put my finger on why.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs. Tammy,
I love popping in over here for a peek into the life of your sweet family. My husband and I and our three little blessings are missionaries working with the Deaf in Panama. I think it is so interesting to follow along with other missionary ladies in the blog world. I don't have a blog, but would be interested in starting one at a later date. My three children keep things hopping around here as they are four years old and under -Smile!
When we were in language school in Costa Rica we had a Cemaco in town and I enjoyed stopping in on occasion and checking out their products. You are right, they seem to carry just about everything imaginable. I also enjoyed your comments regarding the pila (what would I do without it) and a couple of posts ago when you said how much you enjoyed your gas stove. I am with you on that one! The house we live in now doesn't have a hot water heater and so it is nice to pop a big pot on the stove and heat water for bathing - it heats so fast with the gas.
I will quit now that I have babbled on. You are a blessing - Ruth

Tori Leslie said...

Oh Tammy,
I want a Xela!! I keep waiting for Croatia to get a Tesco (UK superstore) and I continue to wait. We will be getting an IKEA (oh yea!)in a couple years, I'm planning to move next door to it. HeHe!

We have those old spanish tiles on our house, I love them. When we came to Croatia the first time and the biggest impression I remember is seeing the sea of read roofs from the airplane window.

That was a fun post Tammy, thanks for the look-see!