Thursday, June 18, 2009

I was sick throughout the night, and so when six a.m. rolled around, I was rather reluctant to leave the comfort of my bed. Hubby had left around five a.m., so it was all up to me this morning, I thought. As children awoke and the house gradually filled with their noises, eager to get the day started, their less-eager mama just pulled the covers up over her head.

Before long, my nine-year-old came in and lay down with me for a few minutes. She asked about breakfast, and I told her she could look at the menu on the 'fridge to see what today's breakfast is (as I prayed it was something easy!). She went to check, and got the table set for cereal (Hallelujah!).

Soon after that, my ten-year-old came in just to check on me. I let her know I'd been sick in the night, and she kissed me and tucked me in. She left quietly and went to serve breakfast to all her siblings, and smiling to myself I could hear her hushing them to be quiet while Mommy rests.

A little after eight, I finally made myself throw the covers back and swing my feet out of the bed. I had read my Bible in the wee hours of the morning, and felt the conviction that I must get up and at least do what I can! After all, I am the Keeper of this home, and six children running free with nobody at the helm equals disaster!

But what I saw as I emerged from my bedroom took me totally by surprise. The livingroom was relatively neat. The table had been cleared of the breakfast dishes and wiped. The floor had been swept. The littlest ones were contentedly busy with looking at books or playing with toys.

No, I was not still in my bed dreaming! My oldest daughter brought out a bowl and cereal for my breakfast. My little one-and-a-half-year-old joined me at the table. (He's always up for a second breakfast :o) And I gave thanks for the food, for the new day, and for my wonderful children... SO much to be thankful for! Nothing have I done to deserve any of it.

Just wanted to share these blessings! I hope your day is blessed, too.

6 comments:

Tammy said...

Ain't it great when what you have taught comes back to help you?! Kids don't do that kind of thing o their own - they learn it and also do it because they have been shown love and caring and can't help but recipricate. (don't know spelling)

Tereza said...

how precious!! So sweet when they think of others!

Elizabeth said...

Just wanted to share these blessings! I hope your day is blessed, too.

Thanks for sharing this. I needed to hear it. It made my eyes get all puddly.

Unknown said...

Tammy & Tereza, they're certainly not perfect ('cause their mama isn't). But they sure were wonderful this morning, when I really needed it! :o)

Unknown said...

Glad it was a blessing to you too, Elizabeth. :o) Sure makes mothering all worthwhile!

Annette said...

It made me a little weepy too. What a blessing children can be!!!