Friday, January 30, 2009

Food on Fridays: Pineapple Perfection



Pineapples are one of my favorite fruits! We can get them fresh and ripe all year 'round; they are shipped here from the coast.

We usually eat it fresh, but we also put it on homemade pizza, or in smoothies. During the colder months here in Guatemala, the locals make a delicious hot punch from pineapple! The "cold season" is a good time to do that, and here is why:

Besides being packed with vitamin C, pineapples also contain bromelain, which is known to relieve coughs and loosen mucus. Its anti-inflammatory properties also help relieve arthritis, gout and other inflammatory ailments. Pretty great!

One of the lesser-known benefits of pineapple is that it helps relieve nausea. Yes, even nausea caused by pregnancy. (Try it, next time you have opportunity ;o) It is also good for preventing motion- and air-sickness.

You can benefit the most from these properties of the pineapple by eating the fresh fruit or drinking fresh juice. (It loses a lot of it nutritional value in the canning process.)

...Just another wonderful fruit God made!

3 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks for all the great info! I didn't know much of it. Here's another little known fact, they also have enzymes that help to regulate your intestinal tracts and therefore your bowel movements. Sorry, that is kind of a yucky concept but true.

Anonymous said...

Our Midwestern state has lots of healthy vegetables in the summer and fall, but we sure don't have pineapple accessible like that.

But oh! How I love it!

Thanks for teaching me so much about its health benefits, and thanks also for participating in Food on Fridays! Have a delicious, healthy, pineapple-y weekend!

Vera Prince said...

This sounds great. I wish fruit wasn't so expensive here. I hardly ever buy it, except frozen because it's ridiculous. I miss fresh fruit and veggies. My dad has the best little veggie garden, back home and I miss the freshness and purity of those vegetables, and even the veggies my mother preserved for the winter. They are much better than the canned stuff. Sadly, it seems that's all that's in my budget these days...