Friday, January 16, 2009

Food on Fridays


Food on Fridays is hosted over at Ann Kroeker's blog, which I really enjoy reading. Join us each Friday as we discuss something we really like: FOOD. :o)

My long search for a source of raw honey ended this week!



A while back, a girl came to my door, offering honey for sale. I bought some, partly to be friendly with the neighbors, and partly to see if she would help me get to her source so I could have some of the raw stuff.

It turns out that her papa is the beekeeper, and while he usually heats all of the honey (to make it clear and easier to pour), he was happy to save me some raw honey. I bought half a gallon for Q60. (That's about $8. Not bad!)

I told her she could come by about once a month, and she would have a regular customer. She said she would bring us some honeycomb next time, too.

*****

In case you are wondering what is so great about raw honey, here are a few facts:

* Raw honey is an excellent source of energy, and has a milder effect on blood sugar levels than cane sugar.

* Raw honey contains a wide variety of vitamins and minerals, as well as antioxidants and amino acids. It also contains enzymes which aid digestion.

* It's antimicrobial properties make it great for sore throats and stomach ailments. (Try stirring a tbsp raw honey and a tbsp apple cider vinegar into a cup of warm water.) You can even dress wounds with honey, and it will reduce scarring.

* Unlike cane sugar, raw honey is an alkaline food, and contributes to the body's proper acid/alkaline balance. (I posted more about that HERE.)

"Eat thou honey, because it is good..."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so happy you have found a local source for such a healthy food--I appreciated your list of benefits. We have a supplier of honey who comes to the local farmer's market, but that's only in summer and early fall. I'm going to ask for his raw honey next time. Right now I have the pourable kind, but your photo makes the raw look irresistible!

Thanks for participating in Food on Fridays! I'll get your link up (sorry so late!).

Anonymous said...

Aw that is wonderful! We get raw honey from a small market in town.

Miss Jocelyn
http://aponderingheart.com

Tori Leslie said...

Wow, that's interesting. So glad you found just what you wanted, actually it found you!

Tammy said...

Wow! That picture is something. My brother in law raises bees and therefore, we get honey anytime we would like it. He does not heat it but puts into something that spins it out of the honeycombs. I assume then, that it is raw. It is different colors depending on the type of flowers around. I love the light colored honey but not the dark as much. However, I have never seen honey the color it is in your pic. Is it something to do with Guatemala?

Unknown said...

Tammy, the honey in the photo is slightly "sugared" (my word for it). If we were to heat it, it would still be light-colored, but clear and not as thick.

It later sugared more, and is now a spreadable consistency, which we like!

That sounds like a good process your brother-in-law uses! Seems to me that it would be raw honey still. My understanding is that it is the heating that destroys the nutrients.