Monday, January 26, 2009

This is a beautiful sight...


...to a homeschool mom.

Johanna is four and a half years old, just about ready to start school, and she loves books (just like her big sisters). She will sit down with her younger brothers and "read" books to them, partly reciting from memory what the book says, and partly drawing the story from the pictures.

Children have a natural enthusiasm for learning! I think the key to real education is to encourage that natural enthusiasm, and not squelch it with rigid, textbook education (unless the child likes to learn that way).

I'm trying to discern what each of my children need, and how to balance order with spontaneous learning. I would love to hear your ideas, and any good books you know of on that subject. How do you encourage the love for learning in your children, so that they don't lose it as they get older?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

:) How sweet!

Well, I don't know how to answer your question - but I'm sure mom could! LOL

Miss Jocelyn
http://aponderingheart.com

Anonymous said...

Hi Tammy-

You might be interested in reading Teri Maxwell's (MOTH author)comments on using textbooks for homeschooling. On the Titus 2 website, you can go to Mom's Corner's and search for one on the subject of Christian textbooks. I was of exactly the same opinion as you (that a rigid textbook education destroys ones desire to learn) until two things happened. First, someone gave me a BJU history textbook, and I couldn't put it down (obviously not too boring.) Then I began to think of my own education. Not only was it exclusively with textbooks, I also went to public school where asking questions or showing interest in school work led to lots of teasing. After all of that, I loved then and still love to learn. We probably both know many others raised on textbooks who do still love to learn.

Teri Maxwell also wrote an excellent book about schooling, Managers of Their Schools, in which she further describes why they switched to textbooks. She also wrote how her older children who were not "raised on textbooks" wish that they would've been taught with textbooks.

I hope I'm not coming across as argumentative or judgemental. I just wanted to leave this comment because it is something to consider and I wish I would've considered it sooner.

Sincerely,
Amy in MN

Unknown said...

Not at all, Amy! I really appreciate your input.