Friday, January 9, 2009

I love handmade stuff!


Doesn't Joel's name puzzle look like fun?


My Uncle Bill and Aunt Rita created these wonderful name puzzles. (These days, they travel to fairs and expos to sell them, and their daughter makes them at home.)


Each of my children has one. Bill and Rita also make personalized wooden stepping stools, and other handmade goodies you can see HERE.


Unfortunately, Uncle Bill and Aunt Rita might be put out of business by the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA), a law passed last year that places a heavy burden on small businesses that produce handmade toys, clothes, and educational items for children, as well as on all businesses that sell children's items used. (Heads up, fellow thriftstore shoppers!!) CPSIA will force all of these businesses to fork out thousands of dollars for testing and approving each item.

This law was drawn up for the purpose of protecting American children from the harmful lead-based paints and other toxic chemicals found on certain imported toys. While I certainly don't want "toxic toys" being sold in the U.S. (or anywhere else), I don't think the answer is legislation. (At least not this kind of sweeping, all-inclusive, small-business-crushing legislation.)

Personally, I think Americans are smart enough to avoid purchasing the toys that are likely to be problematic... You know, the ones stamped, "Made in China".

If you would like to help save handmade toys, click HERE or HERE.

And don't forget to visit Bill & Rita's site. :o)

3 comments:

Nina in Portugal said...

I love that puzzle!!

I'd like to have one with each of my kids names. It would be something I'd hang onto for years to come. Maybe my grandchildren could play with the puzzles that their parents played with. --- So sweet! What a neat idea!

Anonymous said...

Aw, that's a cute, personalized puzzle, and will be ridiculous if they have to be shut down because of that law! Utterly ridiculous!

Miss Jocelyn
http://aponderingheart.com

joolee said...

Oooh, I got an e-mail from my sis-in-law about that act. I wrote a letter to our state "authorities" and a few hours later heard back that they are going to make the legislation more specific so as not to mess with our thrift stores. YAY!