Thursday, January 1, 2009

First Things

Have you ever noticed in your Bible reading how that God is very interested in first things? Look in a Bible Concordance, and see how many times first, firstborn and firstfruit(s) are mentioned.

In Old Testament law, the firstborn child is God's, as well as the firstborn of certain animals. The firstfruits of the land were to be offered to Lord. The tithe is the firstfruits of all increase, and belonged to God. In the Psalms, how many times did the writer approach his God early in the morning? He gave the first part of the day to the Lord!

As we are beginning a new year, I've pondered what first things I can give to the Lord, to honor Him. First part of each day? Yes. First day of each week? It's His. First part of our increase? Definitely.

A friend of mine is writing out her experiences with fasting, and it was in my communications with her that I first heard about fasting the first day of each month. What a great way to prepare for a new month, setting a regular time to "reboot" our perspective, refresh our bodies, and reset our feet to walk in His ways! An excellent idea.

It is God who has given us all things richly to enjoy. I want to honor Him with everything I have (time, talents & abilities, money & worldly goods, children), but especially with the first things. He is Worthy!

What first things do you honor the Lord with?

1 comments:

Tammy said...

Thanks for the new perspective about that. Especially about the fasting. Think I'll try it. I just noticed lately about the first fruits too! I guess us Tammy's often think alike! LOL!