Saturday, January 3, 2009

On reading the Bible

I know a lot of you have set goals for your Bible reading this year. Personally, I would like to read through the Bible in Spanish! It will be a challenge, since I read a lot slower in Spanish, but I think I can do it.

Have you ever set out to read the entire Bible in a year, only to fizzle out somewhere in Leviticus or Numbers? Been there! And I have no advice to offer except to press on, because the geneologies do end, and it does get exciting again, LOL.

One thing I've come across that could be a help is the audio at BibleGateway.com. Who doesn't like to be read to? Just choose the version (I only recommend the King James), set the book and chapters you want to listen to, click "play audio", and follow along in your Bible. If you keep a little chart in your Bible, you can check off the chapters as you go, or you can just keep a marker on the page where you left off.

I would love to hear your goals for this year, as well as any ideas on how to stick with it!

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Thanks for stopping by my new blog! Your words were encouraging. Hope to "see" you again soon!

Anonymous said...

For awhile I got stuck there, but slowly regained speed at the end! I'm now in Jeremiah, and have been reading WELL over a year, but it's been good for me.

Spanish - that would be something. Great idea... if only I knew the language. lol

Unknown said...

Jocelyn, I'm in Jeremiah, too, in my English reading! Nothing wrong with reading the Bible in two years instead of one, lol.