Thursday, June 19, 2008

Homeschool Fun


It is raining almost every day, and with the abundance of rain comes an abundance of toads! I guess this got the wheels turning in the mind of Daniel, who happens to be our school principal. In some biology class he took during his junior high and high school career, he got to dissect a frog. Do you see where this is heading?


So a few nights ago, he and the children caught a couple of those toads outside with the intent of dissecting them for a homeschool biology project. (Notice I said he and the children are doing this. I wash my hands of this one. And I made them wash their hands, too, as soon as they came into the house.)


Then they had these poor toads, frantically trying to leap out of the jar. What now? How to, umm... euthanize them? Not knowing what else to do, they stuck them in the freezer.

I bet you don't have Frosty the Frozen Frog in your freezer, do ya? And I bet you don't even envy me. :o)

Anyhow, frigid froggies pose a problem. Ya can't dissect 'em. So the Principal is looking into obtaining a preserving solution to put the toads in. He asked around, and it was suggested he ask for formaldehyde at the only place in Xela where they use the stuff... the mortuary.

This saga is not over. I will keep you posted, as I'm sure you are all on the edges of your respective seats. I know I am, but I'm not leaning in too close.

Post Script: For those of you in the know about toads and frogs, we are aware of the difference between the two, even if we sometimes use the words "frog" and "toad" interchangeably. It's just that "froggy" is so much more fun to alliterate than "toad". :o)


Froggy foto credits to my favorite fotographer, Daniel!

3 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

Oh Tammy, you are hilarious!!
I'm so glad those "froggies" are in your fridge and not mine.

Can't wait for chapter two of the saga!

Nina in Portugal said...

Yep, I agree...that's pretty gross. So, while looking for a preserving agent...are they still in your freezer......this gives me chill bumps!

Selah said...

Oh the fun of Homeschooling. What a strong woman...with those creatures in your freezer. You'll have lots of "Chicken" soup I'm guessing if he can't find a preserving agent.