Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Fear

Today I've been meditating on Psalm 31, which begins, "In thee, O LORD, do I put my trust..." and that is the theme of the whole psalm. What needless fear we experience when we fail on this one thing! He is worthy of my trust. Why?

He is my rock and my fortress - verse 3

He has redeemed me - bought me at a supremely high price. (Do you not take care of things you have paid a high price for?) - verse 5

He will have mercy upon me - verse 7

My times are in His hands - times of joy, sorrow, growth, suffering...and when I will leave this earth. All in His hands, and no other - verse 15

His goodness is GREAT! - verse 19

He is kind - verse 21

He hears my supplications - verse 22


A Christian who is afraid to stand, afraid to fail, afraid to be in front of a crowd, afraid to be alone...is a Christian with misplaced fear. We are to fear one Person above all: God!

Oh how great is thy goodness, which thou hast laid up for them that fear thee; which thou hast wrought for them that trust in thee before the sons of men!

For he hath said, I will never leave thee, nor forsake thee. So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man shall do unto me.

In the fear of the Lord is strong confidence...

The fear of man bringeth a snare.


And so my heart trusts in him. And I am helped.

0 comments: