Friday, March 21, 2008

Praise purifies

Jessica and I were in the bathroom, getting ready for the day, when she sighed and made this comment: "Mom, you don't fix your hair and adorn yourself like most other women do. But you know what? Thou excellest them all!"

Her opinion of me blessed my heart deeply, and also humbled me. I am utterly unworthy of such a high compliment. Another scripture comes to mind, besides the one she alluded to:

As the fining pot for silver, and the furnace for gold; so is a man to his praise.

Why did that come to mind? Because now every time I have dealings with her, I find myself being more careful what I say to her, my tone of voice, my countenance. I WANT TO BE WHAT SHE THINKS I AM! She thinks I am lovely and sweet and kind. Her brief but heart-felt comment has had a purifying effect on me, causing me to notice the flaws I need to remove from my character.

So this is another tried-and-true proverb, a treasure that I can put to use. Why not praise my children more often? It will help to purify them, it improves my attitude toward them, and it doesn't cost a thing.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen, Sister! What a beautiful thing for her to say, and I love the way you handle yourself. I pray that the Lord will help me to become the woman He intends me to be!