Sunday, March 30, 2008

Mexican Bread Pudding

My Aunt Jean in Texas gave me this recipe. We had some for breakfast this morning, along with our rice & milk, and it was delicious!

1 loaf of day old French bread (Break into pieces.)
1 sugar cane cone, break into pieces and bring to boil with about 1 pint of water. Remove from heat and add 1 tsp vanilla.
1 cup pecans
1 cup raw peanuts
1 cup raisins
1 moon of Longhorn Cheese, shredded (Cheddar will make it look greasy.)

Spray or grease a 9x13" pan and layer ingredients starting with the bread in the bottom. (bread, pecans, peanuts, raisins, then cheese) Pour sugar cane mixture over top and soak all the bread real good. Put into oven 300 degrees F and cook for about 2 hrs. (approx.) Love to all, Aunt Jean

It's a very versatile recipe, too. She uses wheat bread instead of white. I omitted the peanuts. She adds craisins with the raisins. If you can't find the sugar cone, try a cup of brown sugar in its place. I plan to play around with this recipe some more. It can pass as a brunch item, or a dessert. I hope you try it!

...Thank you, Aunt Jean!

1 comments:

Tori Leslie said...

Sounds interesting! Don't know if I will make it though, can't get cane here at all, that I know of.
Still looks good!