Friday, April 25, 2008

Children and Grace

Well, it has been another busy day with our six children. I got a bit stressed today, and it seemed it was one thing after another. I mean, I even had to bust out my chocolate stash. (Don't you have one of those?) It was the straw that broke the camel's back when I had just told (re-reminded) the children not to throw things in the house, when *SMACK* a flying dishrag got intercepted from its intended target - by my forehead.

When the dust had settled a few minutes later, I was able to sit down and collect my thoughts. The Mother's Topical Bible did not have anything under "Yelling" or "Losing Your Cool", but I did find this in my good old KJV:

Charity suffereth long, and is kind...Doth not behave itself unseemly...is not easily provoked...Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth." (from I Corinthians 13)

Ouch, ouch, and OUCH! I do love my children very much, but if I get provoked to yell in anger, I am not showing it.

Let all bitterness, and wrath, and anger, and clamour, and evil speaking, be put away from you, with all malice: And be ye kind one to another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as God for Christ's sake hath forgiven you." (Ephesians 4:31,32)

Thank God that He offers us forgiveness through His Son Jesus! As believers who benefit from this amazing grace, we must take this grace and spread it generously upon those around us. It is unseemly to be stingy with what has been graciously and richly bestowed.

I know I displease my Father at times, and I am so glad He doesn't blow up at me! (I bet He doesn't even need a chocolate stash.)

Lord, I want to learn to love my children the way You love Yours! Make me more like You.

4 comments:

rgrahampastor said...

one more verse for you...
For the wrath of man worketh not the righteousness of God. James 1:20
My wife won't let me have a chocolate stash..but a Wisconsin Bratwurst is a close second. Should I send you a reciepe?
RG

Unknown said...

LOL, I think I'd like that recipe.

Thanks for the verse! I'm going to memorize that one. By God's grace, I do not "lose it" very often. :o)

Tammy said...

You're right about God not losing it with us and blowing up and thank and praise Him that we have His Word and promises to comfort us! BUT, He DOES chasten and "spank" or discipline us when we mess up. The difference in us and Him is that He is always just and we are sometimes ruled by are overwhelimingness (is that a word?!) and weariness.
It was so good to hear from you last week - it actually was an answer to prayer because I was wondering if anyone was reading or just clicking on my site and clicking off. Keep up the good work in Guatemala.

Anonymous said...

I know what you're talking about... I just had quarrel... and I have only one child...